Sep 13, 2012

Why Teach???



Photo by Author at Dechencholing Middle Secondary School, Thimphu Bhutan

Only after my 9th year as a teacher had I seen school kids play this creatively and I can do that too.

I am in my 10th year teaching. I am sure that if I had rented a taxi and driven for this long I would be making considerably more money and I will be having a descent home for my family.

Other than little family fights over not being able to save money for the kids, there are a lot of cherish-worthy things in being a teacher.

I am a trained professional teacher in teaching English to standards ranging from kindergarten to tenth grade.

People may not notice me going to school early in the morning and returning late evening. Deep inside my heart, there is a feeling that I have done a great job that their mere appreciation may not suffice.

I teach because I love children getting bigger physically, psychologically, intellectually, morally and critically day-by-day. When I teach with love there is this sacred feeling that you are actually conversing with the Gods.

Because I love children grow, I love teaching. Because I love teaching, every moment of my being with learners reminds me to do better, change according to their learning needs and time’s demands. As children grow, so do their expectations from me. I cannot remain where I came from, where I planned my lessons and where I wrote my grammar rules.
I teach because I can change with the individually defined global needs in teaching pedagogies

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say, please